Brushless Outrunner Motor ESC & Battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Seano View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 352428

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brushless Outrunner Motor ESC & Battery
    Posted: 08/Dec/2009 at 7:17pm
Hi Guys I've bought an Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane from Nitro Planes and want to purchase a 50mm Brushless Outrunner Motor 510RPV (Recommended??) ESC & Lippo Battery from Hobby KING. Can anyone recommend what is the correct combination to go with this. I'm new to electrics and haven't got a clue what to choose. Cheers Seano 
SeaComms View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 97362
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote SeaComms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Dec/2009 at 8:13pm
Wow...  nice plane!

Depends a lot on how you want to fly it.  If you are wanting to fly scale type aerobatics, then you wont need as much power as if you wanted to fly full on 3D.

The specs for the plane call for between 750 to 1000 watts, I always seem to overpower my stuff, so I would be looking between SK42-50 650kv and the SK42-60 500kv.

Whilst these are rated at 1150 and 1450 watts respectively, the recommended motors are 650 to 1000 watts. Running the above suggestions in this area will see them last forever.  The 4260 is exactly the same weight as the A4120-7 in the recommendations, so thats not an issue. 

If it were me, I would prob run with the 42-60 500kv on 5 or maybe 6S.  6S would be easier, as two 3S batteries can be used. I would look at 3700ma batts, and a larger lower pitched prop for 3D work, say around 14x4, or for faster aerobatic work, a smaller higher pitch, say 12x7 or 13x6.

These figures are off the top of my head, so you would need to experiment with a watt meter before committing any of them to flight. You should be looking at around 30 to 50 amps approx, so the Turnigy Plush 60 amp or 80 amp would be perfect.

Hope that helps you start out, would love to hear how it progresses.  Not sure where you are but if its anywhere near the Sunshine Coast drop in to the Coolum Club.

Cheers, Dave.
Seano View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)

Quote Seano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 3:39am
Cheers thanks SeaComms, much appreciated that's a big help. I'll look at all your suggested options and make a decision on what to buy. Do I need to purchase a watt meter as well to check the amps before flying, is this really important? I've ben flyimng gliders for most of the time but have had some experience with electric gliders and off course Real Flight where I am getting my experience with 3D Flying. I'm in Sydney so don't think I'll get the chance soon to take up your offer to call by at your club. Thanks for the offer anyway. Cheers Seano
Mustang Sally View Drop Down
Platinum  (AE)
USERID: 52654
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Mustang Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 4:22am
A wattmeter is a must in the electric flyers toolbox. Without it it's only gessing in what power you are using and will keep your ESC happy when you start experimenting with different props.
Seano View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)

Quote Seano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 7:39pm
Hey SeaComms, Seano hereagain can you advise re-the batteries do I get 2 x 3700mAh batteries and run them together or are you suggestinging 2 so I have one spare? If I run them together how do I do this? Appreciate your advice. Also I notice that the prop suggetsed for the SK42-60 is saying 15 x 8 or 16 x 10 you suggested either 14 x 4, 12 x 7 or 13 x 6? I not sure which one to go fo? Could you also suggest which of the Hobby King props you would use, Cherry wood or plastic single or 3 Blade, so many choices? Cheers hope you don't mind me picking your brain!
SeaComms View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 97362
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote SeaComms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Dec/2009 at 6:11pm
Yep, I like using 3S batteries as I use them in my smaller planes, so in the bigger ones I look at running a motor that will handle 6S so I can use 2 existing batteries in series.

As for the prop, 16x10 I think would be way too much for 6S, They rate the motor for 4S to 7S, so I would say a 16x10 would be fine on the 4S.  Maybe I am a little underpropping, and probably a 15x4 or 5 would be a good choice for 3D, or around the 13 or 14 x 8 for sports.

But again, without solid testing its all still guess work.  There are a few test results in the reviews, one in particular I was reading was running a 16x4 JXF on 6S and pulling around 65 amps (thats 1500 watts...) thats prob a little high.

Personally with the price of props form HK, I would buy about 1/2 dozen diferent sizes - as well as a watt meter..

As for what sort of prop, the timber ones look good, and I have just installed the Turnigy Light Beech ones on my little Pitts Special and I am quite impressed. Apart from that, the Master Airscrew electric series I use on higher speed motors and am quite impressed with the quality.

Cheers, Dave.
Seano View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)

Quote Seano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2009 at 8:20am
Cheers SeaComms appreciate the advice I now have all my selections lined up at HK to purchase. When I get the plane flying I will post a note. Cheers Seano!
 Post Reply Post Reply