HobbyKing Forums
Forum Home Forum Home > Product Specific > Electric Ducted Fans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What will be the most quiet 90mm edf fan ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
makeloveinisrael View Drop Down
Platinum  (IL)
USERID: 959630

Online Status: Offline
  Quote makeloveinisrael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will be the most quiet 90mm edf fan ???
    Posted: 10/Mar/2013 at 6:33am
Does someone have any idea what is the most quiet 90mm fan ?
In my case i nead areal quiet fan , i know noise can be reduced by not using an intake tube or by having the fan better balanced maybe also by having an inrunner motor. but still is there any way to have a quiet and powerful 90mm ???.
fly or die View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1097732
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Quote fly or die Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Mar/2013 at 2:31pm
most of the noise is harmonics generated by the ducted fan setup transmitting to the actual fuselage which amplifies it
u can almost halve the noise by soft mounting the unit into the plane
few ways u can do this is by fitting unit so it has a soft insulator between it an fusl*ge mounting area silocone or double sided tape works a treat
also make sure your edf is in perfect balances any vibration translates to noise
pick a edf with high blade count it will be quieter
makeloveinisrael View Drop Down
Platinum  (IL)
USERID: 959630

Quote makeloveinisrael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Mar/2013 at 3:02am
Do you have an idea what fan will be more quiet the chung sung 90mm 12 blades or the mercury alloy 12 blade 90mm. i think the metal will transmit more noise . i got a chung sung 5 blade it was not so noisy as the 5 blade free wing that i think is like the wemo teck if im not wrong. the only problem was that all the fans i got had vibrating shafts drilled not straight so i tried grinding them with an angel grinder wile motor working and the vibration was less but still to noisy for its use
WTWUK View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 976346
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote WTWUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Mar/2013 at 10:10pm
The quietest unit I have is the XRP 18 blade 90mm 'Smart Fan' unit from WindRider. Once balanced it is beautifully quiet and only produces that sought after 'whooosh' sound. This one is mounted in metal rings that do not touch the airframe, so it is not in contact with a lot of airframe. Any remaining vibration is not amplified.
I now have some multicopters. So easy to fly!!! I crash a lot less than I used to! As of 24 Apr 2014, I am officially Cornish!!! Exiled to Devon!!!
Schorch View Drop Down
Platinum  (DE)
USERID: 953628
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote Schorch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Mar/2013 at 8:06pm
For a queit fan, not only the EDF unit but also the entire air streaming from the intake(s) to the outlet(s) are essential. For a high-quality EDF unit you should have a look at http://www.ejets.at/

For a preview, go to youtube and search for "jetfan" to see and hear some nice videos. You`ll find some amazing videos on the ejets homepage, too.
4stripes View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 421518
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote 4stripes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Mar/2013 at 8:42pm
The fan type helps make things quiet, but dynamic balance of the whole motor and fan together is what makes a fan really quiet. My favorite is the Changesun 90mm 12 blade. It will require some patience and time to balance but well worth the effort. The Mercury alloy fan comes pre-dynamically balanced. It runs smooth and quiet wit no effort. Good fan but will cost about double a CS setup. Worth the money for those not able to dynamic balance their fans IMHO. Ducting will play a part in noise but the EDF vibrations are the loudest component.
 Post Reply Post Reply