HobbyKing Forums
Forum Home Forum Home > Product Specific > Transmitters and Receivers > Turnigy 9X (sub forum)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Turnigy 9x 8ch receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steve107 View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 638620

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steve107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turnigy 9x 8ch receiver
    Posted: 03/Oct/2012 at 10:05am
Yes its a stupid question but, how does the servo and battery wire connect to the 8 channel receiver without burning it up?
klaw81 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 605444
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote klaw81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Oct/2012 at 12:19pm
Your receiver should not be powered directly from your model's battery. Most receivers are designed for 5-6V and will be damaged if you connect it directly to your model's 8-12V battery.

Instead, the receiver should get power from the battery via a Battery Eliminator Circuit, aka BEC. The BEC is designed to convert power from your model's battery into a nice steady 5V.

Usually, the BEC is built into your model's Electronic Speed Controller (aka ESC). In larger models, a separate stand-alone BEC is often used.

The servos can be plugged directly into the receiver, and are powered by the BEC. There's a little diagram on the receiver that shows which way around the plugs should go (the negative lead is the black or brown one).
Sooty View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 173750
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Oct/2012 at 12:25pm
It is not a stupid question at all.

Battery connects via an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) with a built in 5-6v power supply (BEC) or via a standalone BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) if using a standalone Lipo battery pack for receiver and servo power only.

The BEC circuit carries 6v to Rx and servos via channel 3 along with the motor control signal wire - looks just like a normal servo connection.

You can also get dedicated packs for receiver and servo power rated at 6v without need for additional circuitry - used for glow models or gliders. These batteries have a servo connector with red & black wires but no signal wire and plug directly into an unused channel (7 or 8) on your receiver.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
Steve107 View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 638620

Quote Steve107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2012 at 10:07am
Thanks Sooty. My Rx has 10 plugs. Channels 1-8 and then one marked BAT and one marked BIND. This is the Turnigy 8 channel receiver and I just don't want to damage it before I can at least spin up the blades.
Sooty View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 173750
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2012 at 10:23am
OK - if you were flying fixed wing you would plug your servos into 1-4 and your 5-6v RX battery pack into BAT.

For heli you use channel 3 via your ESC.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
 Post Reply Post Reply