Help about the ESC of my new Grasshopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)
USERID: 1010584

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help about the ESC of my new Grasshopper
    Posted: 03/Aug/2011 at 7:56pm
Hello everyone

I need help with my new plane.
I have bought a L-4 Grasshopper 1400mm EPO (PNF) with all necessary accessories (batteries, charger and TX/RX). I've ridden it and I have binded it to my 4 Channel TX/RX (Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2), but failed to run the engine. All other channels with the exception of the throttle responds. The engine emits a series of beeps and does not respond to command. The box did not include the manual to calibrate it, can someone tell me how I can do it.
This is the technical info of the plane

Motor: 36-48 700kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: 45A w/BEC
Prop: 12x9
Servo: 9g x 4
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)

Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Aug/2011 at 2:07am
Please can you answer me, the technical service just say. Ask in the forum...

After binding it when I connect the battery the engine emits a beep every second.

I don´t know if there is any problem with the plane or the battery I have just purchased and to where can I get it repaired.
Thanks for your attention.
airwave View Drop Down
Retail  (US)
USERID: 71296
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote airwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Aug/2011 at 6:44am
try to revers the throtle in the TX channle 3 on futaba's, the esc is looking for it to be right before it will arm.
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)

Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Aug/2011 at 1:10am
Thanks for answering but I have tried it (in all possible ways) and still can´t move the engine. Apart from that I have bought a HK 4 channel TX/RX.
Blind Vision View Drop Down
Platinum  (DK)
USERID: 52464
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
ADMIN

Quote Blind Vision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Aug/2011 at 3:30am
a Beep every second or so, usually is a prompt for you to do something 8like when it has entered programming mode), or a No signal coming to the ESC from the RX.

Q: when you did reverse the channel on the TX, did the ESC sound the same way ?

Q: Have you tried to Unplug the ESC from the RX, and power it up, how does that sound (if it sounds the same way, you know you got no signal to it)

A non moving motor could also be a Bad connection on one of the 3 wires, with 2 working wires it can still make beeping noises.

-Troels

Doing some guerilla gardening... take a peek; http://www.facebook.com/groups/416558261701047/ lokal bustop infront of my flat
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)

Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Aug/2011 at 6:34am
Hello

I have opened the plane and found that the wires connecting the ESC and the engine were wrong. I corrected them but it still sound the same. A beep every second.

A: Yes it sound the same way.
A: Working on it, I am having my batteries tested.

The Esc is a Topfire Brushless TP-E03-0045

I am dissapointed by the mistake of the wires, this was my first buy with Hobbyking. I was planning to buy several other products but now I don´t know what to think
klaw81 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 605444
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote klaw81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Aug/2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Tarkun

I have opened the plane and found that the wires connecting the ESC and the engine were wrong. I corrected them but it still sound the same. A beep every second.

What did you find that you think was wrong? And what did you change? If all 3 motor wires were connected to the ESC, it should work (although it might spin the motor in the wrong direction).

Just to confirm: your radio can make all of the control surfaces work? ie your rudder, elevators and ailerons all move in both directions?

I agree with the previous advice - it sounds like the ESC isn't happy with the way something is connected. Here's a few things to check:

1. Is the ESC plugged into the receiver correctly? It needs to be the right way around and pushed in firmly.

2. Do you have a good bind with your radio? Is the red light on the receiver on and not blinking?

3. Is your radio's throttle lever all the way down? Is the throttle trim lever centred? The ESC often doesn't activate until it "sees" zero throttle, to prevent accidental operation of the motor. Perhaps you should try moving the throttle all the way up instead, and see if that makes any change.

4. Check the connection of all the wires from the battery to the ESC to the motor and receiver. Make sure each connection looks like it has a good firm contact or is soldered well.

5. What is your start-up sequence? Make sure you switch on your radio transmitter first, then connect your plane's battery.

6. If possible, try to test the operation of your radio with another model, and test your model with another radio. It could actually be that the throttle channel of your radio is not working, or alternatively your ESC and motor might be faulty.

Hopefully these checks will show up what is wrong. Sorry to hear your first experience with HK is not a great one. Good luck, and let us know if you need more help.

Edited by klaw81 - 10/Aug/2011 at 11:26am
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)

Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Aug/2011 at 7:39am
Thanks for answering

Yes the wires was not the problems, they would spin in the worng direction. With the transmiter I can control all surfaces, except throttle that don´t respond.

We have tried all the steps except six, but we have done some extra research and it is more likely to be a failure with the throttle channel of the transmiter. It is a Hobby king 4 channel radio v2 (mode 2). I am gonna borrow a multimeter and check the connections to discard everything else but I am not sure what to do next, maybe I will have to buy another transmiter.
Blind Vision View Drop Down
Platinum  (DK)
USERID: 52464
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
ADMIN

Quote Blind Vision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Aug/2011 at 8:23am
Try hooking it up to one of the other channels (that work with the servos)... But be careful NOT to have a Prop on when you try it.
Doing some guerilla gardening... take a peek; http://www.facebook.com/groups/416558261701047/ lokal bustop infront of my flat
Tarkun View Drop Down
Gold  (ES)

Quote Tarkun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Aug/2011 at 12:25am
Already tried and no response with the throttle.
 Post Reply Post Reply