URL: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2484
Printed Date: 02/Oct/2014 at 6:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.54 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: REVIEW For Turnigy 9X Radio + HK-TR6A Receiver
Posted By: Demon
Subject: REVIEW For Turnigy 9X Radio + HK-TR6A Receiver
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2009 at 2:43am
hey all,

I finally got my Turnigy 9X radio, HK module and HK-TR6A receiver today.

And yes, i do know the TGY 9X has been removed however they will be back (as Ricky from HC told me over live chat) they have been sent off for thorough QC checks!

Onto the review
:
First impressions of everything is actually very good indeed, Module is lighter than i thought and the receiver is ALLOT smaller and lighter than i thought it would be (also the receiver wire lengths are much longer...Darn... Still, not too bad)

Menu navigation:
menu navigation is pretty easy all in all, takes about 30 seconds to get used to and then its fairly self explanatory. I do like how the settings are split between Model specific settings and radio specific settings - Makes navigation very easy!

Old bugs solved?

Anywho, the question on everyone's mind is - Has the Dual rate / Expo bug been fixed, answer is - YES! Im setting up the radio for a heli but i can confirm 100% that both Dual rates and expo work as they should (In heli mode at least). Put in the values of both (in either order) Press Menu (To save - DO NOT press exit or it will delete values) and then do whatever you like... Turn off radio, turn off receiver, go through other menues - When you return the values you set are still there and YES the servo responds as i should.

Module
The module i received looks identical (from the pics) to the Flysky. Binding to the HK 6ch receiver is a doddle and works as it should (Turn on receiver with battery and binding plug installed, turn on radio holding bind button and done!)

Module Precision:
There was allot of problems with the old Turnigy / corona systems in that the system was not particularly precise and jittery, i am happy to say no such issues exist with this radio. The servo opperation is - as far as i can see, as smooth as that of my Spektrum DX6. So far so good.

Bugs i have noticed:
The only bug i have noticed so far is that when entering the name of a model the left / right switches on the radio are reversed in relation to your selection on the screen... Little annoying but nothing hugely detremental to anything (and its not like you change the name every time you fly... )

Module Bugs:
There are still some SMALL bugs i have noticed with the module - and i am being really anal about things now..
The main thing is (and it could just be with my module) that when you press the Bind button it doesnt always dis-engage (i.e stays pressed) i think the button is catching on the case of the module - a bit of wiggling and it usually pops out again.

The other thing i noticed is that the module gets fairly warm... really bizzare. Works just fine but i will crack it open and take a look, probably stick a small heatsink to whatever it is that gets warm...just in case...

Receiver:
The receiver (HK-TR6A) has been reviewed many times before and as always its unbeleiveable how good of a receiver it is for the price!. I did crack both the receiver and satelite open to reinforce the receiver wire, This involved just slipping some heatshrink onto both before the wire exits the case - Stops any force being exerted on the solder joint. i have had one of the wires break on the satelite receiver though (where it goes into main receiver) But its nothing a bit of soldering wont fix..

So far, other than that i have not noticed anything else... Although i have only fiddled with the radio for a few hours.

Replies:
Posted By: rcmodelreviews.
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2009 at 6:48am
Yes, the FlySky module will get warm in the standard 9X.  That's because it's being fed with 10+ volts which is then being dropped down to just 3.3V -- meaning that a huge 70% of the power going into the module is wasted as heat.

That's why I strongly recommend the 2S Li-Ion battery modification I published.  With that modification, the module runs cool to the touch and you get 9+ hours of transmitter use per charge, from an $8 battery.

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2009 at 7:43am
Hey There,

I may very well look into it, its a little strange that the step down occurs in the module though as opposed to the radio itself... But thank you very much for the tip.

Almost dialed the radio in now and its working pretty damn well so far - Will keep you posted.

Take care
Demon

Posted By: johnkim100530
Date Posted: 23/Jul/2009 at 5:40am
I am satisfied with Turnigy/iMAX with its respective module and receiver,  all made by SkyFly.

Only problem I have is that I have not learned how to use preprogrammed Butterfly mixing.
Do you use Butterfly mixing for sailplane?   Have you tested the program?

Posted By: soleado
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2009 at 5:11pm
Can someone help me?
I have a Futaba 6EXP 6 channels, PCM/PPM with crystal 35,150. Could it work with a synthesized receiver at 35 mhz?
Thanks for the reply
soleado

Posted By: W3FJW Ron
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2009 at 6:06pm
Yes. When you select one be sure & read the reviews.

-------------
Best Regards
I can only remember half of what I say....
I used to walk on water 'til I found out it was more fun sitting in the boat drinking beer

Ron

Posted By: soleado
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2009 at 6:38pm
Thanks Ron,
but, as my english is very poor, you mean that a synthesized receiver can work with a crystal transmitter on the same frequency (i.e. 35 mhz)?
thanks again
soleado

Posted By: W3FJW Ron
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2009 at 6:47pm
Yes. But the synthesized receiver has has to be on the same band the transmitter is operating on. In your case, the Rx has to be a 35mhz Rx.
I'm not sure of the proper procedure of locking the Rx to the Tx, but I'm sure someone else will jump in here with the proper procedure.
And your English is just fine soleado. Much much better than my Italian. 

-------------
Best Regards
I can only remember half of what I say....
I used to walk on water 'til I found out it was more fun sitting in the boat drinking beer

Ron

Posted By: tacomaker
Date Posted: 19/Nov/2009 at 10:03am
Originally posted by rcmodelreviews.

Yes, the FlySky module will get warm in the standard 9X.  That's because it's being fed with 10+ volts which is then being dropped down to just 3.3V -- meaning that a huge 70% of the power going into the module is wasted as heat.

That's why I strongly recommend the 2S Li-Ion battery modification I published.  With that modification, the module runs cool to the touch and you get 9+ hours of transmitter use per charge, from an $8 battery.

I'm still waiting for my FS-TH9x... while I do that, i might make this 2S pack you are talking about.

Hi I actually have those exact li-ion batteries kicking around.  I bought them a couple of years a go thinking they were AA sized but they're pretty big.   Now I have a use for them!

Is the connector that plugs into the 9x just a regular 2S balance charger plug?  I wanna keep my original battery holder intact. 

And when I charge it, I guess I tell my charger it's a 2S 7.4 pack?  Thanks, love your reviews!

-------------

Posted By: Merlon
Date Posted: 19/Nov/2009 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by rcmodelreviews.

Why wouldn't they use a simply switching powersupply in the module?

Originally posted by tacomaker

Is the connector that plugs into the 9x just a regular 2S balance charger plug?  I wanna keep my original battery holder intact.
Yes, it's a 2S balance plug, but the wiring is nonstandard: It uses the centre pin for positive and the left (seen from the back) for negative.

And when I charge it, I guess I tell my charger it's a 2S 7.4 pack?

Just remember to set the charger for the correct chemistry as well, most of the 18650 cells seem to be Li-Ion which has slightly different chargeprofile. Don't know if using the Li-Po program is ok if your charger doesn't have a seperate Li-Ion program.

Posted By: tacomaker
Date Posted: 20/Nov/2009 at 1:09am
What I don't get is why don't all transmitter makers use just 4AA?  Spektrum's DX6i uses just 4.  Some of my Esky TX has 4 as well. My Honey Bee V2 TX uses 4x88, yet my V4 Lama uses 8xAA.  Yet they are fully compatible with each other.  So what gives if it works fine with 4.  I wonder if Duracell/Energizer is paying them to use more AA's ;)

My charger doesn't have a Li-on setting.  Just LiFe and LiPo?  Would I blow this guy up if I used either of these?  

-------------

Posted By: rcmodelreviews.
Date Posted: 20/Nov/2009 at 5:09pm
If you use the protected cells I refer to in my DIY article then you can use the LiPo setting on your charger.  The cells will automatically stop charging when they're full.

Posted By: darnready
Date Posted: 03/Dec/2009 at 1:36pm
Very interesting.  Thanks for your insight into this stuff.

is it possible for this transmitter to work with the Hobby King 8channel receiver?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9429&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_Receiver_8Ch

If so, you must have to purchase a module also.  Which one?

Date Posted: 17/Dec/2009 at 8:37pm
Hi Darn,
Yeah that receiver will work fine with this radio if you get the Flysky Module (They used to sell it here, which is the one im using, but stopped it after about a month... not sure why).

Anywho, if you want to use the cheap HK 6Ch receiver and that one that you listed, you need to get the Flysky module (i think they are about $20 - $30) although HK WAS selling them for $15 when i bought mine,

Good luck,
Demon

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.54 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com