Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cferrell View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 23856
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cferrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Nov/2010 at 3:39am
Hyperion makes a 12s charger.  That's what you'd use.

The balance taps for one set of cells will need to be parallel'ed.  Then you'd take those taps and put them in series with the other set of now-parallel'ed taps.

Then you can connect and charge as a 12s, 44.4V, 10,000 mah battery.

I don't know of another 12s charger.  I think the reason is the 12 V sources we typically use are limiting factors... and most people don't use a 12s, 10Ah battery in the hobby world.

You might be better off (flexibility) making two 6s, 10Ah packs.  6s chargers are more common and inexpensive than the Hyperion 12s.

Originally posted by visuthdy

hello,

i'm planning to run a 12s2p battery set up with (4) 6s 5000mah lipo configured as pictured.  it will be 44.4v, 10 ah.  how do I charge this type of setup and what charger/cables/power supply should purchase from hobbyking?
Iannybeany View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 588346

Quote Iannybeany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Dec/2010 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Chris F

For larger packs yes. Small packs can be charged through the balance taps. For more information check the link in post #1.
Hi Chris I purchased the Turnigy Accucell-6 charger and received all the wires in the Sales photo...went to charge battery plugged in white pin from LiPo battery 7.4v went to fast charge pushed all the buttons to be told battery disconnection...realise now that i need to connect the read lead with black and read wire as well...problem no connecter and also I have no connecter for one Lipo 11.4v that i have in the transmitter. Noticed all your leads in the photo's above Thanks for those "put them straight in the Pool Room" quote from classic Aussie movie the THE Castle...in other words i saved them in Iphoto. Question where did you get the leads? From Hobbyking? Do i need to purchase these items HXT Lipo Monitor 3S. A must have for all lipo users!
HXT Lipo Monitor 4S. A must have for all lipo users!
XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs)
CY- B6 plus balancer connector...Would have uploaded a photo but didn't know to do it... gave it a try. Hoping i can recharge the batteries as i would like to go and fly the little mini swift i purchased. regards
santanub_md View Drop Down
Gold  (IN)
USERID: 651700

Quote santanub_md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Aug/2011 at 1:50am
hallo i m totally new bout this hobby but i m to much interested to fy heli and plane but i want to know that in hobby king there is any simulator pack for beginner please reply me
ykhean View Drop Down
Platinum  (MY)
USERID: 1090240
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Quote ykhean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2011 at 7:25pm
Hi there,

I am a newbie. I have a HK ECO6 50W charger. If I want to charge a 2000mAh batt, what should the Amp to set on charger. Is it 2A or not more than 2A?

Does it apply to all different capacity battery? Eg 1700mAh should set max 1.7A, 2500mAh should set max 2.5A current and so on.

Hope somebody can help me understand the charging of Lipo? Thanks a lot.

flarssen View Drop Down
Platinum  (NO)
USERID: 3342
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote flarssen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by ykhean

Does it apply to all different capacity battery? Eg 1700mAh should set max 1.7A, 2500mAh should set max 2.5A current and so on.

That is called charging at 1C, and is correct unless it's specified that the battery can be charged higher than 1C and you are in a hurry.

Fred

Edited by flarssen - 01/Nov/2011 at 7:51pm
ykhean View Drop Down
Platinum  (MY)
USERID: 1090240
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Quote ykhean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2011 at 8:33pm
Thanks for explanation, Fred. If we are in no hurry, it's better to charge at less than 1C. Is there any figure of less than 1C to be best for batteries?
scqair View Drop Down
Gold  (BR)
USERID: 516216

Quote scqair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Nov/2011 at 8:51pm
Hello to all
What is the best charger for LiFe?

club17 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 732710
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote club17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Feb/2012 at 9:41am
Why not just use the hobbyking XT60 parallel or deans parallel charge board.
dachopper View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 1800000

Quote dachopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Dec/2012 at 6:47pm
Guys, tell me if I am wrong, but the batteries are simpler than you might imagine. The voltage is how much the energy wants to move, the Current is the actual energy moved per unit time.

The reason when you charge LIPO that the Current reduces slowly over time, has absolutely nothing to do at all, whatsoever, to any amount, with the charger.

The charger just creates a particular voltage, and allows up to a maximum amount of current to exit, and that's it.

When the Battery is Empty, it has a lower voltage than the charger, which in effect means the charger overall has more voltage, which allows the current to flow from the charger to the battery. As the battery get's fuller, it's voltage gets closer to the voltage of the charger - and it's internal resistance increases, which both act to reduce the overall current flowing into the battery. When the battery voltage = the charger voltage, then there is no way for current to physically move from charger to battery. If the battery was charged with 3.1 Volts, it will only ever get to a charged state of 3.1 volts, with zero current flow.

So - if you had 3 different sized parallel batteries, and you added up the AH rating, for a total, the reality is the battery that has the least resistance is going to charge the quickest, but as it approaches full the charge rate ( current ) will slow. If the charger switches off when one of the batteries reaches full, then they will not all have the same % of charge.... However, if you leave them connected in parallel after the charge, then they will balance each other out voltage wise - which means as a % of total full amount.

My 2 c
rewolff View Drop Down
Platinum  (NL)
USERID: 340356
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote rewolff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Feb/2013 at 1:47am
Originally posted by dachopper

When the Battery is Empty, it has a lower voltage than the charger, which in effect means the charger overall has more voltage, which allows the current to flow from the charger to the battery. As the battery get's fuller, it's voltage gets closer to the voltage of the charger - and it's internal resistance increases, which both act to reduce the overall current flowing into the battery.
This is more or less true for Lead-acid batteries. But not for LIPO. If you have a 1000mAh 20C LIPO and a 200W charger, the battery would explode in minutes if you'd try to force about 20A through it (at about 10V, 3S).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>