Push and normal propellers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sacramento View Drop Down
Platinum  (PT)
USERID: 1073022

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sacramento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push and normal propellers
    Posted: 30/Apr/2012 at 4:10am
I am building a B17 78" WS and I will use 4 brushless motors with 3 blade propellers. I heard about push and normal 3 blade propellers and would like to know if in a 4 motor plain I should use the 2 kinds of propellers, why should I have to use and where should the push ones be installed (inside or outside motor)

Your help would be aprreciate

Thanks
Sacramento
Sooty View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 173750
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2012 at 4:25am
You can eliminate torque by using props rotating different directions on each side - providing you can get matching props for cw & ccw when you order them.

Any prop can push or pull - it still mounts facing the same direction in front of or behind the motor - unless you need to fly your plane backwards.

It all comes down to the motors used. Will the shaft bearings take push instead of pull?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/Apr/2012 at 5:00am
Actually in that setup Sooty, they're all pulling (the two inboard motors rotate one way with the normal prop and the outboard ones in the opposte way with the 'pusher' prop)

That counteracts the torque of four motors all trying to pull everything to the left.

All Sacramento has to do is make sure that the two inboards and two outboards rotate in the opposite direction (obviously making sure he has the correct prop on each of course )
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
Sacramento View Drop Down
Platinum  (PT)
USERID: 1073022

Quote Sacramento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2012 at 5:21am
Thank you for explanation. Now I understand the reason. But that way the motor should be mounted reversed so it rotates in the other derection, correct?
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2012 at 5:43am
No - swap two of the leads to the motor (any two) and it will run in the opposite rotation
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
 Post Reply Post Reply