Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattAUSA View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1314276
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MattAUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Control Line Planes
    Posted: 25/Apr/2012 at 3:41pm
Hi all. When I was a kid, my first plane was a control line with a .36 size engine.

Has anyone had experience making an electric version? I would imagine that the control lines would be able to power or at least control the engine, and at the same time control the plane itself.
airwave View Drop Down
Retail  (US)
USERID: 71296
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote airwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2012 at 6:05pm
What type conversion are we talking about, a control line to RC or an electric control line? I will start with the glow/too electric. If you look on the net for brodak you will find a web page for control lines of all sizes the new one are electric. They have a timer that starts the ESC and after a set time stop. This is for reference. You can get the motor, ESC ,battery here.You can also make a DIY board for this if you have the skills the parts are cheap.
NewToHobbyKing View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1591028
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote NewToHobbyKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2013 at 4:44pm
Well it would be cool a electric control line. When I first started flying electric RC I thought that electric control line would be cool. I too as a teenager enjoyed flying control line. I had a 35 OS max (6cc). I still have it and a 40 OS max and a 36 cox and a 15 super tiger. 4 Cox 049s. I have also collected 24 rc engines. They are all lubed and shelved. I really enjoy electric so clean. The model gets, no FUEL damage.

So I am having to much fun with RC to go back to control line. So are you or what?

Edited by NewToHobbyKing - 04/Jan/2013 at 4:46pm
400blade View Drop Down
Retail  (GB)
USERID: 149846
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote 400blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2013 at 11:22pm
hers the timer for starting the esc http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/control-line-motor-timer-EFLA172
Platinum  (AU)
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote NewToHobbyKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Apr/2013 at 2:32pm
I though that every one would have some stories to tell about flying control line planes. I guess we are all having to much fun with RC. What about a Plane that takes off control line then at a flick of a switch the lines drop (after a few times around) and she is free. From control line to Rc. So electric would suit that fine too! What do you think members!
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Apr/2013 at 4:57pm
Personally I think that would be the stupidest thing going - potentially a missile

You forget that C/L is designed so fly in a circle ONLY, it has a far higher power requirement to non-tethered flight and is also a lot heavier
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
Platinum  (AU)
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote NewToHobbyKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2013 at 1:46pm
Daithi I did not need that pointed out. Yes I know it would not work (OR WOULD IT). No it is a bad. Maybe the other way around Ha Ha.   

But I do really think with the price of RC gear being so low, CL may be gone. I know as a kid the only reason we flew CL was because we could not afford RC. I still have CL engines and Controllers. Even the rear round metal handle.
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2013 at 4:48pm
What you can do (and in fact has been done) is to use insulated wires and use R/C servos to operate lights, undercarriage, etc. You don't actually use the radio but just feed the voltage via the control lines
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
airwave View Drop Down
Retail  (US)
USERID: 71296
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote airwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2013 at 6:01pm
Daithi, you can also use a radio on a tetherd plane.I have gotin old enough that the spining gets to me,so I drove a rod in the ground with a swivle on it and used the radio gear to control up and down.it worked but if you think it is hard to get the contol right on a RC coming at you try one on a string.

Edited by airwave - 25/Apr/2013 at 6:01pm
hairykarts View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 424820
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote hairykarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2014 at 6:30pm
In F2B ( stunt ) electric has been used for some time , a timer is used to turn off the esc , and a gyro used to increase power on climbes and reduce power on dives . an awfull lot of the worlds stunt c/l pilots now use electric only .
the power is much smoother and wont giv e a lean/rich run .
I must remember .... when inverted .... down is up and up is down .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>