Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
trevpez View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 387362
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Online Status: Offline
  Quote trevpez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6in1 milling/drilling machine
    Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 7:15am
Just set up the 6 in 1 milling/drilling machine.The quality/accuracy of this is less than a childs toy.DON'T WASTE YOUR DOUGH!impossible to align centers,collet holder for drills is lucky to allow an accuracy of around 2mm/3mm.I destroyed folding prop adapter using a brand new 4mm frost drill bit,even after about an hour trying to set it up.I have worked with lathes for years, so I know what I'm doing.I can do a far better job with a cordless and a vice.
It's a CLANGER and I'm surprised HK put their name on it!!
Maximilionalpha View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 504602
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Maximilionalpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 8:04am
How could any machinist, in their right mind, even think of purchasing this toy and thinking that it would be anything but that, a toy? Where's the micrometer dial, threading dial, half-nut lever? This thing is made out of plastic and there's no way, it will drill/mill, true. I mean, as an experienced, CNC Machinist, there's no way I'd waste my money on such a toy and expect it to perform miracles...That's just my opinion.

Edited by Maximilionalpha - 12/Apr/2012 at 9:07am
AmmoJammo View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 392876
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote AmmoJammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 8:56am
well that URL just failed... anyhoo!

I reckon my 5 year old nephew would love that!

Edited by AmmoJammo - 12/Apr/2012 at 10:55am
trevpez View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote trevpez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 9:42am
I wasn't expecting miracles but I was at least expecting to drill prop adapters out reasonably accurate.I was hardly expecting to manufacture firearm components or machine up clock mechanisms.I am dissapointed none the less with this purchase as no doubt anyone else who thought along the same lines as I.
Sawdust View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 628468
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sawdust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 10:14am
DRILLING/MILLING MACHINE.
I wouldn't have trusted it for any sort of precission work, but I thought it might be handy but I was sure I'd get frustrated by it's limitations, so I never seriously considered this thing.
I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was mistaken.
snappy View Drop Down
Platinum  (IE)
USERID: 73306
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 2:55pm
Others have been selling them for years (Unimat)
   I'm as happy as a very happy sandboy.
FusionTiger View Drop Down
Platinum  (SG)
USERID: 191700
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote FusionTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 3:38pm
The machine is fine. You are not suppose to expect too much out of it. That's like trying to go hypersonic with a J3 cub. Ok, odd analogy, point is - It works the way it is designed for; very small and light duty machining operations. Precision is decent if you know how to use it the right way.

I have a half ton machine, obviously I cannot expect it to perform the way a multi ton machine would, right? For the price I paid for, I'm happy. And this apply to those who intend to get this machine, it is not really a toy, just a light duty machine to help you do things that hand tools normally couldn't. This is commonly also a stepping stone to many machinist, especially for those who are completely new to the world of Mills and Turns. You would rather break this than to break a thousand bucks machine which can potentially cause serious injuries.

Even I was considering to get this little guy for portability and simplicty, it is ideal when I have do some on-site machining work for a friend or client.

Edited by FusionTiger - 12/Apr/2012 at 3:41pm
spitfire2010 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 302824
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict
Dear Leader

Quote spitfire2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 4:01pm
You could do some really crafty work if you took your time .

I've got a lathe and mill an I still considered buying this for working on balsa an ply etc.
MAAA why won't you allow AMAS members to fly at MAAA fields? Criminal really.
trevpez View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote trevpez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 6:06pm

I've got a lathe and mill an I still considered buying this for working on balsa an ply etc. [/QUOTE]
Make me an offer,I'm just up the road.
hpcoolahan View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 557818
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote hpcoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Apr/2012 at 8:09pm
Just to be sure , did you put some wet/dry paper in between the surfaces to be joined to stop the movement and give a solid clamping action??
Just set mine up and without the sandpaper there , it wont matter how tight you screw down the clamps , it will always move.
For what it is , looks ok to me so far...i just dont expect the world of it .

It'll do what i got it for.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by hpcoolahan - 12/Apr/2012 at 8:09pm
"Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>