Oil and Grease for electric helis.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lillpojken View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 576654

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lillpojken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil and Grease for electric helis.
    Posted: 09/Apr/2012 at 9:07am
I see a lot of videos how to assembly the HK kits but I have not seen anything on how to help a newbe like me to choose the right treadlock or the right oil/grease for the bearings for 250 size and up for electric helicopter. What do you use ?
dodgemcopter View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 206014
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote dodgemcopter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Apr/2012 at 1:36pm
No grease on heli's its a big drag on components, if you feel you must lube use a little sewing machine oil in a syringe. A few reasons there is not much info on lube especially if your a newb are.....as you may most likely crash before your heli has any hours on it you replace the bearings anyway (especially main shaft), the more you oil the more dirt will be attracted to said oil (remember its a big fan those blades on top), most bearings in a RC Heli are a "shielded" type....NOT sealed so they normally have a moly type grease in them or are ceramic so any lube you put in will find its way out anyway. In a nut shell by the time your heli bearings actually need lube you will have either crashed and replaced many or have well and truly got over the need to fly them and left them on the shelf Lock tight is not nearly as important on electric as it is nitro, use low strength or you will need to heat everything to remove/replace.

PS. remember cheap bearings growl even when new so no amount of slippery dip will fix it
coptor View Drop Down
Platinum  (MY)
USERID: 635220
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote coptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Apr/2012 at 5:23pm
You can use grease but you must also know how to degrease before you add new grease.

I use contact cleaner sprays to degrease before applying new grease.

With light sewing machine oil, I don't have to bother degreasing much.

Depends on how much effort you're willing to put in degreasing.
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Apr/2012 at 10:14pm
One word of warning - de-greasing is possible, but it's equally possible that the replacement grease doesn't get where it's supposed to go.

A case in point - back when VCRs were a 'luxury' item, we got one for repair where someone had done just that - result was all seven motors seized solid and the thing was a write-off
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
 Post Reply Post Reply