HK Quad Board V2.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DannyJigg View Drop Down
Gold  (GB)
USERID: 1370710

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DannyJigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HK Quad Board V2.1
    Posted: 05/Apr/2012 at 5:21pm
Hi folks,

I am new to the world of quadracopters and after reading about them for a while I decided to invest in one.

I ordered the parts based on a list someone else had written and if something was out of stock (plush 20A ESC) i ordered something similar.

I have finally wired everything up and have all connections soldered, but I have now hit another snag: I cannot get the thing to arm.

I have tried flashing the firmware, the flash tool gives a message about not being able to set the sck period but completes ok, then the LED on the board lights and flashes rapidly until disconnected. I have connected everything up, TX turned on, end points at 100%, trim at 0% and throttle to 0 but the board does not initialise.

Following the advice of someone else on this forum, I have removed all but 1 BEC connection and the board flashes once when I connect power, then does nothing and does not respond to any input from the TX (including down/up+left/right on either sticks.

I have tried disconnecting the servo extensions 1 by 1 and have found that with all but rudder connected I am now getting a beep from the ESCs. After this beep, the board does not appear to react to any inputs.

Anyone have any ideas, tips or advice? I'm starting to see wiring looms and servo extension leads in my sleep...   
Goglu2 View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 318434

Quote Goglu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Apr/2012 at 5:53pm
If your esc are like mine, you need to turn on the receiver/esc with the throttle at full so the esc knows where full is, when it starts beeping go to 0 throttle, then the esc should arm.

Edited by Goglu2 - 05/Apr/2012 at 5:53pm
Keeth View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 763654
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Keeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Apr/2012 at 7:17pm
Try moving throttle stick left or right at lowest setting. While holding it there adjust your trim the same way and watch the LED on board...
DannyJigg View Drop Down
Gold  (GB)

Quote DannyJigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Apr/2012 at 4:36pm
Thanks for the replies.

I tried what was suggested by goglu2 and got nothing, then tried Keeth's option but still no go.

Issue has now been resolved by doing the following;

Firstly, I re-made my leads coming from the RX as i suspect there was a solder bridge somewhere - hence the board refusing to work when rudder lead was connected.

While still leaving all the endpoints for throttle at -150%, I turned the yaw pot to 0 and kept the throttle at max before powering up the whole assembly. I got a series of flashes from the LED and the distinctive calibration beep from the ESCs so quickly dropped the throttle to min which got me the calibration complete beeps from the ESCs.

I disconnected power, reset yaw pot to ~50% and powered up again. A quick flash of the board's led and then the power on beep from the ESCs told me things were going better. A little input from the throttle stick and the motors jumped into life.

Thanks again for the suggestions - not sure whether the problem was with the dodgy solder work or a calibration issue with the TX but it works, and that's what matters - right?

Now all that's left is to fabricate a frame and I'll be up there with the rest of you!
(I should have just bought one from the site as they are dirt cheap)

Edited by DannyJigg - 06/Apr/2012 at 4:38pm
flarssen View Drop Down
Platinum  (NO)
USERID: 3342
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote flarssen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Apr/2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by DannyJigg

I disconnected power, reset yaw pot to ~50% and powered up again. A quick flash of the board's led and then the power on beep from the ESCs told me things were going better. A little input from the throttle stick and the motors jumped into life.

I assume you initialized the controller board before the motors started?

DannyJigg View Drop Down
Gold  (GB)

Quote DannyJigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Apr/2012 at 11:25pm
That's a good point flarssen. I just tried to replicate my success and nothing...

Looks like I am still stuck where I was before. If I connect power to the board, the LED flashes and the ESCs beep but then it sits dormant.

I have now tried reversing every channel on the TX, 1 by 1 and still no joy. I have just changed to Kapteinkuk's 4.7 firmware for X configuration, set yaw to 0, stick to 100%, ESC beeps so stick to 0, ESCs confirm configured. Disconnect power to everything, yaw to ~50%, power on, get the led flash and beep from ESC but still cannot get it to arm.

Am I being really stupid here and missing something?

Edited by DannyJigg - 07/Apr/2012 at 11:27pm
flarssen View Drop Down
Platinum  (NO)
USERID: 3342
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote flarssen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Apr/2012 at 7:14pm
While in calibration mode, all ESC's receives the same signal. If all motors starts to spin when throttle is moved forward (while still in calibration mode), the direction of the throttle is correct. If endpoint is set to max and trim is all the way down to the low side, there is only the rudder/yaw channel left to worry about. Do you have a servo that you can connect to the rudder output on the receiver for testing endpoints?
Carefully inspect the wires between Rx and Quad board for the yaw channel.
The stick needs to be held in the initialization position for 2-3 seconds before the board will initialize.

If you get it to work, note that the motor sequence for KK 4.7-X is:
1 3
2 4

Fred
DannyJigg View Drop Down
Gold  (GB)

Quote DannyJigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Apr/2012 at 3:27am
Ok, turns out I'm stupid.

I plugged a servo into the servo channel on the RX, nothing. Hmm, strange! So I check the other channels, also nothing. The only channel that works is the throttle.

Then it occurs to me that a few weeks back I had been bench testing another setup and left a battery hooked up the the RX with an ESC plugged in too. Obviously when I hooked up main power there was a lot of smoke from wires burning (luckily both were ni-cad) so I disconnected it all and let it cool. I didn't bother checking the RX as I knew it would be a while before I used it again but it seems that I blew something major.

I swapped the crystal over to a spare 4 channel RX I had lying around, connected up the quad board, added power and waited for the beeps. All ok so far! Reset rudder trim (with throttle trim at -100%) and left stick made the LED come on. Reset throttle trim to 0 and went to ~50% motors are going strong. Input on the other channels controls the relevant motors so it's all looking good.

All that's left is to tidy up the wires a bit and I'll be in the air.

Sorry for the complete waste of time and thanks for all the suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply