RC FPV Arcade setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
visual_rabbi View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 456696

Online Status: Offline
  Quote visual_rabbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RC FPV Arcade setup
    Posted: 10/Mar/2012 at 12:21pm
Any recommendations for an FPV system for a 1/10 short course truck setup? Been thinking about using a GoPro because of the HD signal and the soon-to-be-released WiFi backpack that will supposedly allow you to broadcast a video signal. In addition, if I'm not mistaken the $25 and $50 1/3 chip cameras don't have image stabilizer, in which case I assume the video would be terribly bumpy.

We've so far decided to either used a fixed mount, or maybe a PAN mount allowing the driver to look right and left. When using a gyroscope system, what components do you need?
FusionTiger View Drop Down
Platinum  (SG)
USERID: 191700
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote FusionTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Mar/2012 at 2:13pm
Ive been using the FatShark Predator FPV system with the included CCD-Killer camera on my 1/8 Buggy and things are crystal clear despite all the nasty washboards. The key is to keep the camera mount or pan/tilt mechanism extremely secured and rigid. The slightest resonance will erupt into a terrible smudge. I'm currently using 3 popsicle sticks worth and it works but now that proof of concept is done, I'll be making a rigid aluminium version next.

Ive avoided using GoPro as it's weight is impractical and costly. There are good cameras out there and some with image stablising, however not availble here, yet!
visual_rabbi View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 456696

Quote visual_rabbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Mar/2012 at 11:31pm
Is the field of view decent with those glasses? Never used them, obviously. I've pondered using a video monitor with a gyro system on the users head, or even helmet to accomplish the same sort of user control.

Totally understand the weight and bulk issue of the GoPro. I like the new camera offered from Team Associated as it seems smaller and less of a bulk issue. That said, goPro is coming out with a wireless option that supposedly will allow you to stream video live via a wifi connection. I'm not on the gopro bandwagen, but their cameras do put out stunning video quality and can be made waterproof if not even indestructible cases.

Do you have any videos posted?
FusionTiger View Drop Down
Platinum  (SG)
USERID: 191700
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote FusionTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Mar/2012 at 12:09am
The FOV for the headset is ok, I prefer it over the tradiational fatsharks and even the new flagship Dominator. It felt like viewing onto a 17" laptop at average seating distance away.

The FOV of the included lens on the camera at 25degrees is not much but keeps the view tidy, sufficient and not too fish-eyed like the GoPro. The best part about the included camera is that you can manually adjust the focus and easily replace with large variaties of lens from most CCTV-camera's. They have lens which has more FOV than the one on the GoPro!

Unfortunately, I do not have any videos as I do not have a recorder for it. You can check out my thread for still image reference.

Quality for the GoPro is indeed far superior but rapidly improving small FPV system will soon match/surpass it. FPV for R/C is still in it's youth, it will take a few more years before HD-FPV becomes available for the mass market.
 Post Reply Post Reply