HK-450 Components. What are you using?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NFA Fabrication View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 1186902

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NFA Fabrication Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HK-450 Components. What are you using?
    Posted: 06/Mar/2012 at 5:16pm
I just purchased my heli, and am trying to get a strait answer from people that actually have flown their heli's. I find build thread after build thread, but am having a hard time finding proven component info (Interested in all electronics that have proven to work well for you, motor, esc, servo's, etc.)

I have seen many recommendations to use the "HXT900" servo's for all 4. For a little more, the metal gear "MG90S" look like a good option. Thoughts?

Also, I am learning that the rudder servo is very important, and that it must work well with the gyro you intend to use. I have also read that it is highly recommended to use a digital servo. Is there a fairly proven gyro/rudder servo combo available from HK that work well together? If not, what is a good proven option outside of HK?

I don't mind spending more, but am trying to get the heli together initially on a budget and can upgrade as needed from there. But if I simply just need to spend more initially I will.

I have a Spektrum DX8 Transmitter and a Spektrum AR600 Receiver as of now. I know that the Transmitter will be fine, not sure if the 6 channel AR600 is an appropriate choice however. Sorry for the rant!

Edit: Here is what I have or currently am planning on getting. Let me know if any of this seems like a poor choice!

Heli: HK450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Kit V2
Controller: Spektrum DX8 (Already Have)
Receiver: Spektrum AR600 (Already have)
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack (Not Yet Purchased)
Cyclic Servo's: Turnigy MG90S x3 (Not Yet Purchased)
Rudder Servo: ???
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 40amp (Not Yet Purchased)
Motor: Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2218H Heli Motor 3450kv (Not Yet Purchased)
Gyro: ???

Edited by NFA Fabrication - 06/Mar/2012 at 5:51pm
daleko View Drop Down
Platinum  (RU)
USERID: 1224594

Quote daleko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2012 at 2:47am
rudder: HGD-261HB
esc: TURNIGY K-Force 40A or (hobbywing platinum 40a)
gyro: HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro
motor: T2836-3700
NFA Fabrication View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 1186902

Quote NFA Fabrication Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2012 at 12:20pm
Thanks! I took a look at that servo, looks like a much better option than the HXT900's. I added that to my cart. Do you have any vids of yours flying?
daleko View Drop Down
Platinum  (RU)
USERID: 1224594

Quote daleko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2012 at 2:52pm
alas, no
engineersupreme View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 454864
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote engineersupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2012 at 6:06pm
for a trainer and general flight hxt900's are fine. cheap to replace when you do the damage.
Ive had them on all my 450 tails and have found them reliable and way fast enough for training purposes.

Also check out the HK orange digital 8gm servo, have just fitted one to a 450 FBL and it flies well.

The best and easiest to program esc (with the card)for my 450 helis and anything else requiring 40 amp esc is the TowerPro H40A Brushless Speed Controller

have had no failures in the 2 years using them, 4 to 8 batteries a day when the weather is fine,

For the motor for training this one is good Turnigy 450 Brushless Heli Motor 2830 3500kv

Reciever, I have just been buying and fitting the 6 channel orange without satellites on the 250 and 450 and with for the 500 and 600 size

I am lucky to still have some year old 401b gyros still in their packets, I have used these up to 600 size heli, have just got a HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro to try out but also have gy401's and deutrem 48's that all perform roughly the same.
NEVER under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
LITLJOE View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 789840

Quote LITLJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Mar/2012 at 11:40am
I have an hk450gt with hk929mg on cyclic and hk922 on the tail with a 401b gyro with the hot glue fix.. This combo works great for me.. No problems yet.. turnigy 55amp trust esc and typhoon 2218h motor.. Plenty of power.. Might not be the best setup but I have a hard time trying to figure out how it could be better.
Ricardo1500 View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 822888

Quote Ricardo1500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Mar/2012 at 3:47am
I have a new 450gt with
3 hxt900
1 Corona 919mg tail servo
HK 401B gyro totally unmodded...works great
TY2215-3550 motor with 11T pinion
60A tunigy speed controller (had a spare)
6ch orange RX
DX7
Tunigy 22003s

All budget stuff but works better than I could have hoped...25 flights now under its blades just hovering, circuits figure 8's and general fun...no 3D

Bit of film from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7c43wU1Wg

Cheers
Rich
Memphis Eddy View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 1111812
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote Memphis Eddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2012 at 2:35am
The ZYX is a gyro and a FBLs 3 axis gyro.
You can set it up for FBL or non FBL heli.
Now
Spend 30$ and get a old style gyro or spend 50$ and get a FBL option.
That said
Servo's
Got 2 go digital
D922MG or 933 are heinge knock offs but super cheep 10$ servo.
But
If that is to much $ HKSCM16-6 is cheaper 3$ servo.

Edited by Memphis Eddy - 28/May/2012 at 2:37am
Hk/Align45oPro/DFC/KDS/3GX/ZYX/9x/Dx8/7s/7/6i/9xr
wt290 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1338812

Quote wt290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2012 at 10:29pm
TowerPro H40 ESC
Corona 929 MG Digital - no jitter have survived 2 "minor" crashes
Turnigy 3550Kv - Bucket loads of power
Turnigy 3S 2200 - batteries. I get a consistent 8:30 each flight.

I bought the HK 401B gyro - had heaps of trouble and gave up in the end. Wanting to fly I bought a Futaba GY620 Gyro and a Savox Digital servo. The combo cost more than the chopper, servos and batteries but the tail is rock solid so overall I'm very happy.

I'm just a learner pilot, I can hover, pirouette (no 3D) etc and I'm REALLY happy with the HK - I've crashed it twice but the parts are cheap.

One tip - keep an eye on the parts that are on backorder. I waited 3 weeks for replacement landing gear supports but just gave up in the end. I bought T-REX ones and re-drilled to suit the HK (30 second job) and that fixed that. You will always need

- Blades - every crash kills a set of blades
- Tail booms - include the supports but they can sometimes be fixed with epoxy.
- Stabilizer bars always bend but can be sometimes "re-bent".
- Feathering shafts (watch these, they never seem to come of B/O)
- Main drive wheels - just normal wear and tear will strip these
- Undercarriage components, especially the plastic supports. Flying with broken U/C is hard.
- Masts - always seem to bend. The spares I bought seem to have very minor corrosion so you need to use some emery to clean them up.
- Links in the head. T-REX parts are also good.

Would I buy another - Absolutely!
 Post Reply Post Reply