recommendations for first rc jet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smokin ace View Drop Down
Platinum  (IE)
USERID: 1318350

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smokin ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommendations for first rc jet
    Posted: 02/Mar/2012 at 2:45pm
hi everyone i am new here so please go easy if i am making a mess of things i am looking into getting a rc jet but dont know what one to go for i own a dynam ez hawk so i have flying experience and i find that very easy to fly and great for a relaxing flight but i am looking for to get a jet i am looking for something that is very stable slow flying and one that can be had launched any recommendations would be great thanks
Mustang Sally View Drop Down
Platinum  (AE)
USERID: 52654
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Mustang Sally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Mar/2012 at 10:36pm
The step between an EZ hawk to an EDF jet might be a bit too large for you, EDF go a lot faster.

You could try the Alpha Jet or the T45

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10871__Dassault_Alpha_Fighter_70mm_Ducted_Fan_EPO_Plug_n_Fly.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12943__T_45_Goshawk_R_C_64mm_EDF_Jet_EPO_Kit_only.html

A minimal technical knowledge is required for this hobby; please ensure you know the differences between up and down.
rcmodelreviews. View Drop Down
Platinum  (NZ)
USERID: 4042
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote rcmodelreviews. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2012 at 5:27am
I don't know that I'd recommend the Alpha Jet -- to be honest, it's not a very good model (IMHO).

It's underpowered, very draggy, made from EPS, flies very nose-heavy out of the box and is not that easy to fly in this condition.

A guy at our club (Barry) has had two -- he crashed the first one on his very first flight with it (I'd trimed it out for him) because he underestimated the amount of power he needed to keep on during the landing approach.

I've trimmed out the second one for him but I can see him still having problems because this bird needs to be flown all the way to the ground. When you take the power off, all the drag slows it up very quickly and the lack of elevator authority means it almost falls from the sky.

What's more, if/when it hits hard it *will* break -- expanded polystyrene is nowhere near as durable as EPO.

There are far better "first jet" options.
RcModelReviews
Platinum  (IE)

Quote smokin ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Mar/2012 at 6:16pm
i understand a jet is not going to be like the ez hawk and a lot faster but i was looking at this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18403__Stinger_64_EDF_Sport_Jet_700mm_Blue_EPO_PNF_.html
i was looking at videos of it on youtube and it seems to be stable in flight and seems happy enough to flown slow or fast and can be hand launched what would you think of this one for a beginner to edf jest
Maximilionalpha View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 504602
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Maximilionalpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 5:44am
I recommend the Parkzone Radian sailplane. It floats like a feather and very easy to control.
Sawdust View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 628468
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sawdust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 6:24am
I chose the Stinger as my first EDF. It does fly nice fast or fairly slow. Landings are easy too on grass on it's belly. It can take a fair bit of knocking around too which is great. The launch is where I'd mess up if I was going to. You've got virtualy no control till it gets enough airspeed so if you're trying to hand launch it yourself and you don't do it right it's going to find the ground before you can get it up to enough speed.
I love my little stinger and I did choose it as my first EDF but I haven't flown any others yet so I can't say how it compares to others, there may well be much better EDFs to start on that others with more EDF experience can recomend.
I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was mistaken.
Platinum  (IE)

Quote smokin ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 4:04pm
the radian is a glider and i am after a edf jet but thanks for replying
Platinum  (IE)

Quote smokin ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 4:19pm
thanks sawdust thats great information and its good to get your view of the stinger especially when you chose it as your first edf as it will be my first edf as well i wanted to choose a edf that would fly slow and easy enough and can take a few knocks for a beginner but still has loads of speed and control as i get use to it i am going to order the stinger and just take my time and be in no hurry to get it in the air and just when you say about launching it i think until i get use to launching mine i will go into a field with really long grass so if i do mess it up it has a soft landing   

Edited by smokin ace - 04/Mar/2012 at 4:22pm
Sawdust View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 628468
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Sawdust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 5:26pm
I did experiment with a very crude bungee launch set up and that was probably the most reliable way of launching it. I have been using mine as both a training tool and testing tool for experimenting on.
The only mods I made to my PNF one was to put nylon wing skids directly in front of the aeleron servo arms to give them a bit more protection and another one under the nose to help stop the point of it from digging in. That one after a couple of strokes with a rat tail file on it's back edge was also a perfect place to hook the bungee rubber when I used it.
Good luck with it. You're going to like that little fella once you get it in the air for the first time .
I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was mistaken.
 Post Reply Post Reply