Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cuban8 View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 249360
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cuban8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accucel 8 Charger DOA
    Posted: 16/Jan/2012 at 2:43am
Tried my new Accucel 8 charger for the first time and guess what? CONNECTION BREAK......CONNECTION BREAK.......CONNECTION BREAK
Yes the charge lead is in, yes the balance lead is in & whether you charge 3 or 6 cell packs the result is the same CONNECTION BREAK!!!!
There is a known problem with some of these chargers because this fault is mentioned all over the web and HK seem to have done nothing to solve the issue. Why did I buy one then....don't know, should have kept my cash and bought another Hyperion charger that hasn't missed a beat in three years.
So, has anyone looked into this problem and identified the cause?

Thanks

C8
"If anybody tells you something about aeroplanes that you can't understand, take it from me, it'll be all balls"
Quote from RJ Mitchell.
Goatcrapp View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 861988

Quote Goatcrapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 7:33am
agreed - these chargers leave a lot to be desired. I love the idiots who post "all you gotta do it resolder this this and this, and resolder the deans plugs on your batteries, and when you're done, it might really be a battery problem afterall, but this is a great charger!"

bull. I had to buy a bunch of adapters that should have been included as standard, and when it still beeped CONNECTION BREAK at me endlessly, i said f-it and I bought another (more expensive) charger from a DIFFERENT store (sorry HK - you've lost me now) using the same power supply and it always charges each of my batteries, never fails battery checks, and keeps me going with my hobby. This was a waste of 60+ dollars, and i wish it weren't past the return period now - it's a complete waste of my time and money.
cuban8 View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 249360
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Quote cuban8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 5:21pm
Well, I freely admit to being an idiot because after calming down and looking into the problem, I found that the wiring to the charging XT60 plug was open circuit. Whoever was on the production of these cables in the factory must have been on the rice wine at the time because after removing the heatshrink the conductor looked like it had been glued in place rather than soldered!
A five minute job to fix. The charger has been excellent for the last couple of months, but I suppose in my case I was lucky it was such a stupid problem that I should have checked before getting hot under the collar.
I really think that the charger is a good product, but let down occasionally by poor quality control. I dismantled the charger and removed the PCB etc and was very surprised at the quality of the internal build before finding the actual cause. This charger is on sale (rebadged)in the UK for almost £100, so it doesn't always follow that paying more gets you a better piece of kit.
I'm sorry that your charger is a dud, but it'll be worth having a knowlegeable friend take a close look at it and check for dry joints to the pcb etc. If I was a betting man I'd lay ten quid that it's something silly stopping your charger.

C8
"If anybody tells you something about aeroplanes that you can't understand, take it from me, it'll be all balls"
Quote from RJ Mitchell.
 Post Reply Post Reply