Large plane with EDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thekhakinator View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 518640

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thekhakinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large plane with EDF
    Posted: 11/Jan/2012 at 10:20am
Hi guys, just getting started in researching EDFs, and wondering if you guys could help me out with some ballpark figures. I'm familiar with props but am a bit lost with EDF.

I'm working on a 10kg aircraft, and I need at least 6kg thrust. So I know I'm going to need at least a 100mm fan, most likely. I need to figure out ballpark figures though, for things like how many cells I'll need (I'm thinking at least 10S?), and how much capacity I'll need for about 15 minutes flight time? The plane's going to be a flying wing type aircraft, with a big EDF smack bang in the center. Although, is it more efficient to use one big EDF or two smaller ones to get the same thrust? How much current can I expect such an aircraft to use at cruise? Sort of lost as how to figure out these things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KaosKane View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 659344
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote KaosKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jan/2012 at 1:27pm
best i could find 90mm on 10s = 4.1 kg thrust

90mm alloy EDF 10s

So get 2 for a twin edf setup

Edited by KaosKane - 11/Jan/2012 at 1:28pm
thekhakinator View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 518640

Quote thekhakinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jan/2012 at 2:03pm
ah sweet. any idea what a setup like that would use at cruise? are EDFs like props where you can expect the current draw to be a lot less after take off, or do they have a pretty continuous high current draw?
Adverse Effects View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1230486
Bargain Addict!
Bargain Addict!

Quote Adverse Effects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jan/2012 at 3:34pm
10Kg flying wing? that is chunky

the bigger a EDF is the more efficient it is

why not use 2 120mm EDF's (side by side) with all the control gear and battery's in between them

i would be useing 4 5000mah at lest

High-Performance 4 Blade 120mm EDF Unit
This is the BIG one! A quality EDF unit for anyone who is serious about large Scale EDF modeling.
Expect 11lb+ thrust on 10~12S 30C with an 850-1000Kv motor.

Made with 30% FRP and dynamically balanced, this is a performance EDF unit that produces much more power when compared to other fans of similar size.

Material: Carbon Fiber Reinforced Nylon, Aluminum
Outside Diameter: 129.5mm
Inside Diameter: 120.5mm
Motor size: 52mm diameter max
Motor Bolt pattern: 22~44mm (Variable)
Motor Shaft sizes: 8mm, 6mm or 5mm (3 Shaft adapters included)
Weight: 332 grams
Rotor: 4 blade (119mm) dynamically balanced
Max RPM: 45,000

Note.
While everyone talks about balancing blades, we recommend you focus more attention on ensuring your motor is seated in the middle of the fan, the screws are evently tightened, the collet adapter is pressed firmly and squarely on the shaft and your motor spins true.

Edited by Adverse Effects - 11/Jan/2012 at 3:49pm
BubbaBubba View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 11448

Quote BubbaBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2012 at 11:33pm
I'm building a 108 inch long Su 27 and have s of the 5 inch fans running 10s (2 5s per motor). Have 2 Sentilon 100A ESC's. Ran just one yesterday as a test (don't have the other set of batteries) and that thing moved that fuselage around in circles so as to be scary! Total weight of the plane will be about 30 pounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply