EPP molded unlimited aerobatic hang glider

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OO-TOF View Drop Down
Platinum  (BE)
USERID: 32654

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OO-TOF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EPP molded unlimited aerobatic hang glider
    Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 5:13pm

Hi dears,

As I wanted a well designed aerobatic hang glider with good flight performances, (means the opposite than the performance of the scaled 2m50 gliders that must fly fast...) and that could resist to my extravagant manoeuvers near the ground ...

I cutted with a hot wire CNC machine a hang glider similar to the french "minitoon", an unlimited aerobatic glider made of EPP, but the bad surface of the wing give not the best of the airfoil (SB-96V / VS). To enhance this i have to put a heavy reinforced tape on all the surfaces, but this is not the best ...

My dream is to have an EPP molded glider with the design of a real aerobatic like the one that I made  !!!

I am sure this would be very interesting for aerobatic beginners, and the others ... 

here is an idea of what it is :

- 1.64m span (airfoil SB96V / VS),

- 0.9m length,

- full surface stab with +/-45°,

- the rudder is beginning just at the end of fuselage, with also +/-45°. 

- Ailerons : about 30% of the chord (more is not necessary), also +/- 45°.

- weight about 900g.

I think that with a molded model it should be possible to have a lighter model, with better surface, and forecast a location near the CG to put some weight in case of hard wind ...)

A friend of mine made it with two more servos for the wings to have a variable pitch for incredible manoeuvers. (wings are rotating about +/- 5° around the carbon wing key)

This beast may be controlled with 4 axes (flaperon mix - with the flap command on the throttle stick) 

I am sure you will find a lot of videos of this kind of "unlimited aerobatic glider" - in french it is said : VTPR (voltige très près du relief - aerobatic very near the ground)

As to have an idea of the design you can search the terms "mini toon" on the web.

There is also a full fiber version called the WASABI made in Belgium by Flybiwo.

If you are interested in such a project, please answer and make grow this post as to lobby the manufacturers to get interested in the project ...

Yvan View Drop Down
N/A  (N/A)
USERID: 0

Quote Yvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Mar/2010 at 6:27pm
Bon courage Christophe, je me suis inscrit mais je n'ai pas encore trouv comment voter. Cry

Jol  (Yvan) Big smile
Beladog View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 301604
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
BELAMOD

Quote Beladog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2010 at 1:19pm
 YES! Love this idea! lets do it!
cant find it on a search. Please post a link.
...also, many people call what you are refering to a 'slope or hand launch glider'. The term "hang glider" generally refers to a soft delta wing with a suspended cart which a pilot will hang from and uses weight shift to steer.Smile

Edited by Beladog - 07/Mar/2010 at 1:29pm
OO-TOF View Drop Down
Platinum  (BE)
USERID: 32654

Quote OO-TOF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2010 at 3:19pm
Hi Beladog and everybody, I continue the idea on this poll :

I contacted Windrider about one year ago to suggest the idea but the answer was : "No scale is no market" ... I am not sure that they are right ...

I will try to post some pics of my cutted EPP glider.
 Post Reply Post Reply