Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mav75 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 771918
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mav75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Sep/2011 at 9:06pm
The purpose is that you don't need 11.1V to use this transmitter. You don't even need the "standard" 8 cell 12V alkaline / 9.6V nimh for this to function. Higher voltages such as 11.1/12.6 increase failure rate from overheating of the voltage regulator as everything above 3.3V is heat waste.

Also as a followup, I put a set of fresh cells in, the hextronic meter is on solid green now. :)
Doohan View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 742030

Quote Doohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Sep/2011 at 1:38am
I'm using this TX with 11.1v and its fine, no problems.
If you read the discussions and reviews on the HK-310 page there are no problems there too...

If you must run a lower voltage, here is the easiest way to do it:

Use 3 x normal 1.2v NiMH AA batteries, this will give you 3.6v.
Then simply add 5 x dummy AA's to fill the tray with 8 cells.
Dummy AA's look exactly the same as normal AA's but are not real batteries so they will allow the current to pass through them.

Ebay have them, so do places like radio shack and tandy, they are about 50c each.

Edited by Doohan - 18/Sep/2011 at 1:40am
Mav75 View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 771918
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote Mav75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Sep/2011 at 10:42am
You're still missing the point. Why overvolt it when you don't have to? Your radio will die long before mine ever will.

Plus I get greater run time with having 2x 4AA packs in parallel.
rizky_p View Drop Down
Platinum  (ID)
USERID: 50458
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote rizky_p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Apr/2012 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Mav75

You're still missing the point. Why overvolt it when you don't have to? Your radio will die long before mine ever will.

Plus I get greater run time with having 2x 4AA packs in parallel.

I Just would like to clear up what Mav75 is trying to mention.
1. HK310 only need 3.3v to operate, since it uses linear regulator excess voltage will goes as heat hence heating up the regulator reducing its lifetime. It is not immediate but in the long runs it does.
2. Aparrently it only need 4xAA to operate properly since the range of AA when almost empty still above 3.3v so it is safe to use 4xAA instead of 3xAA.
3. There are more space for additional 4xAA why not make 4 serial and 2 Paralel therefore doubling effective Capacity.
4. With 4xAA The voltage differential is smaller so much less energy wasted as heat. In my opinion 8xAA will last as long as 4xAA because of the linear topology.

Good find Mav75.

Edited by rizky_p - 04/Apr/2012 at 10:06pm
AmmoJammo View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 392876
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote AmmoJammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Apr/2012 at 11:31pm
you're really not gaining anything by doing this.

starting with a nominal 6 volt regulated to 3.3volts, means you can only have about 2volts drop before the regulator won't regulate properly...

starting with a nominal 12volts, (8 cells) means you can run the batteries dead flat, and still have a regulated 3.3volts.

even if it is a linear regulator, its designed for what it does, excess heat due to a greater voltage drop isn't going to shorten the regulators life, and even if it does, spend the 50cents, and replace it..
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Apr/2012 at 11:37pm
It's the power drawn that is dissipated as heat - and that's the product of voltage times current. If you as was suggested) set up 2 x 4 AA cells as two parallel 4.8 volt (assuming NiMH cells) you get twice the capacity and twice the duration of a single set of 4 with less heat dissipation. Any regulator constantly running hot will more than likely develop dry joints or fail at some stage.

Also a regulator doesn't care if the supply voltage drops below its minimum figure - it simply feeds it through anyway. It only 'burns off' any excess above the minimum. It will 'regulate' right down to zero volts - it's only designed to prevent an over-voltage
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
AmmoJammo View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 392876
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote AmmoJammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Apr/2012 at 9:03am
it won't be regulated though, and its hardly a good thing giving a circuit 2volts thats meant to run off 3.3 volts :/
Daithi View Drop Down
Platinum  (GB)
USERID: 1241240
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Apr/2012 at 3:38pm
If the voltage drops that low, then the system won't work to begin with. You don't need 9.6 volts to feed a 3.3 volt circuit - 4.8 is sufficient and the suggestion was to put 2 banks of 4.8 in parallel to increase the capacity and therefore the time between charges. Excess electrical energy is transformed into heat energy - hence a hot regulator and an increased chance of thermal runaway or dry joints if you try to run it at 3 times the necessary voltage
I don't care what it says on the profile - I'm so NOT GB!
nexxus View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 71544
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote nexxus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Apr/2012 at 11:37am
So I can throw a 2s Life pack in it and be done with it?
huymap View Drop Down
Platinum  (VN)
USERID: 748702

Quote huymap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Apr/2012 at 10:14pm
You can see link here modify by made in viet nam
www.clbmohinh.com/forum/Pin-Tx-số-lượng-lớn-giá-rẻ-chỉ-40k-là-bạn-có-pin-hàn-sẵn-jack-để-sạc-tiện-lợi-CÓ-HÌNH-m663500.aspx

www.clbmohinh.com/forum/HCMGiao-pin-tận-tayShip-TQ-Pin-TX-60kRX-2000mahĐủ-bộ-jack-đực-cáiSLL-có-giá-đẹp-m694822.aspx

Edited by huymap - 11/Apr/2012 at 10:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>