Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr&MrsNifty View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 179322
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr&MrsNifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat project $20 dollar hull
    Posted: 20/Mar/2011 at 5:17pm
So help me all you boat fanatics,

My 7 year old slobbered over the Cobra, I thought this would be a great build, but most of the info seems to be missing, including a certain video that was posted by Eric.

What are you using on your mini boats?  Are the parts coming off HK?  Let's hear it...
maxx78 View Drop Down
Platinum  (DE)
USERID: 163190
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote maxx78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Mar/2011 at 12:21am
I use a 2040 4200kv motor @ 2s Lipo (1800mAh).
BUT the Hardware (Propshaft, rudder etc.) is from Germany since HK has no 2 mm shafts afaik.

For your 7 Year old i would go a number bigger with the boat, because the small ones are not easy to handle.
I would recommend something like the NTN 400. If it gets too slow some day you can easily upgrade the Motor (and ESC).  And you get the Hardware either here or at r2hobbies.

Best Regards Max
Mr&MrsNifty View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 179322
Hobbyking Addict
Hobbyking Addict

Quote Mr&MrsNifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Apr/2011 at 1:22pm
Thanks for the suggestion max, thats what I thought, perhaps a vanquish would do us good then.
maxx78 View Drop Down
Platinum  (DE)
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote maxx78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Apr/2011 at 3:22pm
whoops, thats a little bit to big with around 1 meter in length.

I would recommend a size from 450 to 600 mm with a 28 mm diameter 4200kv Inrunner at a 2s Lipo (4-5000 mAh) and a prop from 33 to 39mm with a pitch of 1.4 x diameter. That gives you a speed in the range from 45-60 kph.
My boat of that size pulls around 60 Amps when accelerating and 40 Amps at full speed in a straight line. Speed is close to 60 kph according to GPS, which is more than enough for a beginner.

For the prop shaft you can use either a 3.2 mm flex shaft or a 4 direct shaft. normally for a stepped hull the Propeller should be at a distance from the rear of the boat that equals  8-10 percent of the hull length and with a little gap between the propeller core and an theoretical line from the step to the rear. (i have to find a picture...)

Maybe you check a forum for rc raceboats.

I would recommend:

www.rc-raceboats.de (its a german forum  but it has an international section)

Best Regards

Max

maxx78 View Drop Down
Platinum  (DE)
HobbyKing aficionado
HobbyKing aficionado

Quote maxx78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Apr/2011 at 3:24pm
Uploaded a video of the boat:

Edited by maxx78 - 02/Apr/2011 at 3:26pm
mad about boats View Drop Down
Platinum  (AU)
USERID: 1217000

Quote mad about boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Dec/2011 at 8:55pm
for a seven year old i would reconment the princess it is as fast but is way more stable in the water .i have one and i run 4s and my 7yo nephew loves it
and they look awsome too
jeremy tripp View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 812754

Quote jeremy tripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Mar/2012 at 1:00pm
i got a nqd 30
'highwind rc boat i want to get rid of the stock moters and put in a brushles system with just 1 prop plz help i dont no how big of moter to get i dint want to over power it was looking at a 180 amp ecu and a 3900kv moter
 Post Reply Post Reply