HobbyKing Forums
Forum Home Forum Home > Hobby King Forums > Product Documentation & Information > Assan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedASSAN binding problem solved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KD7GPH View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 29624

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASSAN binding problem solved
    Posted: 21/Oct/2010 at 9:49am

A prior blog in my HobZob member space described how to add 2.4MHz capability to a JR XP6102 or similar transmitter so both 72MHz and 2.4MHz are available via a simple switch. The modified transmitter and two receivers ordered worked fine during field tests. Unfortunately, my light weight glider was caught by gusts of high wind and blew off into dense forest and swamp land traversed by deer, bear and hunters. Another ASSAN X8RS6 receiver was ordered.

The binding procedure is simple and quite fast, when it works. The procedure calls for the channel 2 stick to be wiggled twice immediately after switching power to “on” in the transmitter. My transmitter’s binding LED is then supposed to blink red indicating it is ready to bind. The receiver is then turned “on” and will stop blinking red when it is bound and the transmitters LED will turn solid green when bound. However, transmitters LED would immediately switch to green and not enter the binding process. The solution was hinted at in a RC forum posting on the internet. I will expanded on it here.

The apparent problem is caused by channel mixes, exponential curves and servo throw limits. The 2.4MHz transmitter module wants a clean signal on channel 2 with linear throws no mixing. The solution is to pick a airplane profile for the binding process that is simple. The JR XP6102 that I use has a 10 model memory. My mistake was picking a tricky stunt plane profile when I tried to bind the new receiver to my transmitter. Picking a simple 3 channel glider for the binding process fixed the issue. If you do not have a simple, un-fiddled-with plane in your transmitters memory, program one and call it “Bind”.

The necessary bind plug simply connects the signal pins of channels 1 and 3 together for the binding process. A capacitor with a servo lead connector is included with the ASSAN X8 add-on module. It may be plugged into any unused channel. The capacitor is to help keep the receiver from resetting itself in case of a momentary power drop do to multiple servos hitting stops in aggressive maneuvers. Any 10 volt, 4700 mfd electrolytic capacitor (from Radio Shack) should do the job if you lose yours. Some 2.4GHz receivers take more than one second to recover from a power glitch. The ASSAN seems to be quite quick about it but he capacitor adds a bit of flight insurance.

Post Reply Post Reply