Phantom W/P radio box.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geink View Drop Down
Platinum  (CA)
USERID: 144996

Online Status: Offline
  Quote geink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phantom W/P radio box.
    Posted: 25/Apr/2009 at 9:19am

Hi,
 I have a new Phantom ,which I have rigged and ready to go . But I am worried about water getting to the radio gear.
 Has anybody ever installed a water proof radio box in one of those.
Any info would be a great help.
Thanks.
W3FJW Ron View Drop Down
Platinum  (US)
USERID: 63218
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Quote W3FJW Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2009 at 10:02am
We used to, in the old days, put the radio gear in a plastic bag and tie the bag around the wires. Worked fine for normal use but not as good as a sealed box of some sort if the boat tried to act like a submarine.
Best Regards
I can only remember half of what I say....
I used to walk on water 'til I found out it was more fun sitting in the boat drinking beer

Ron
ohnj67 View Drop Down
Platinum  (PH)
USERID: 31802

Quote ohnj67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2009 at 6:08am
Hi there,

Thats one of our problem right now with our phathom, the water can easily get inside the hull, and we also modefied the ballast, we made a 2 kilo solid steal os that we can run it offshore,the best thing to do is to seal the top cover with tape.
HenryVIII View Drop Down
Retail  (US)
USERID: 253972

Quote HenryVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2009 at 10:36am
I presently sail a Voyager (1 meter) from Tower Hobby and found a plastic bag and some putty around the wiring and a stay strap does the job. The problem I have is with the on -off switch they corrode fast.
I also use a plastic bag over the battery pack with only a stay strap.
JelleB View Drop Down
Platinum  (NL)
USERID: 4868
HobbyKing Constituent
HobbyKing Constituent

Quote JelleB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Jun/2009 at 9:47pm
Maybe you should use a reed-contact and a magnet to replace your on-off switch? It won't corrode that way.
HenryVIII View Drop Down
Retail  (US)
USERID: 253972

Quote HenryVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2009 at 3:47pm
Done that and solved the problem. Now I am looking for an aluminum mast and boom, anybody with name or link?
higuy View Drop Down
Gold  (US)
USERID: 431960

Quote higuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Mar/2010 at 6:08am
Most of the club members here build a small plastic box that the receiver fits into. We cut two small cuts in the top of two side for the servo leads and the anttenna then cover the box with electrical tape to keep the water out. It seems to do the job unless the boat sinks to the bottom.
Osvaldo1 View Drop Down
Platinum  (IL)
USERID: 417462

Quote Osvaldo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Nov/2010 at 1:59am
In my Phantom I use the computer mouse pad instead the supplied foam.
At the hull I use seeling for wings airplane:
GPMQ4422 GreatPlanes bought from TowerHobbies.
Also I change the plastic black key with a new screw heading down double nut on top standing a strong flexible plastic.
Closing the door firmily.
I get good results without any use of a tape around.
 Post Reply Post Reply